Longmont United Hospital Environmental Statement
Longmont United Hospital is dedicated to improving the health of our patients and communities we serve. Protection of the earth’s environment is essential to the health of our communities.
Longmont United Hospital will:
- Manage its operations in a manner that is protective of the environment and human health.
- Seek new and innovative ways to meet its environmental goals through conservation, reduction, reuse and recycling programs and through partnering with others in the community to safeguard the environment.
- Apply these principles to achieve optimal environmental practices consistent with clinical excellence, organizational goals and financial considerations.
In an effort to respect and protect the Earth’s resources, and to minimize environmental damage, Longmont United Hospital will:
- Manage, minimize, and eliminate, whenever possible, the use of hazardous materials.
- Reduce or eliminate, whenever possible, the presence of mercury in hospital supplies and equipment.
- Protect the environment through a preference for products which contain recycled materials, are recyclable or reusable, and cause the least amount of environmental harm during manufacturing, use and disposal.
- Use pollution prevention initiatives to reduce negative environmental impacts.
- Minimize the generation of waste through source reduction, re-use and recycling programs.
- Conserve energy and improve the energy efficiency of our operations and make every effort to use and promote environmentally safe, cost-effective and sustainable energy sources.
- Ensure the health and safety of our employees by promoting safe work practices, reducing exposure, using safe technologies, and implementing effective emergency preparedness programs.
- Provide employees with safety and environmental information through training and education programs in order for them to make work/practice decisions in support of these principles.
- Monitor and evaluate our practices as they relate to these environmental principles.
- Incorporate green principles into design, construction, and operational strategies to minimize the environmental impact throughout the total facility life-cycle.
The LUHCARES4EARTH Team, composed of members from throughout the organization, has been established to promote practices consistent with our environmental statement. Team membership is open to all interested employees.
Learn more about our environmental practices.