Diabetes Self-Management Program
At Longmont United Hospital we offer a Diabetes Self-Management Program to help patients control their diabetes. This program integrates all aspects of self-management – behavioral, medical and emotional – to support lasting behavior change. It provides the most current diabetes management information so participants can make informed decisions about managing their diabetes. The Diabetes Self- Management Program is designed for people with pre-diabetes, type 1, type 2, or diabetes during pregnancy and includes:
- An initial extensive assessment with a nurse and dietitian
- Group classes or individual sessions with client-centered goal-setting
- Latest information on meal planning, exercise, medications, stress management and other key issues
- Family members or support partners are welcome to all sessions
- Focus on empowerment of participants to identify goals and steps to achieve these goals
- Access to the Diabetes Care Team that includes nurses, dietitians, pharmacists, exercise specialists and counselors. Certified Diabetes Educators who specialize in diabetes will be available.
- Ongoing access to the Diabetes Care Team for phone consultation after completion of the program
- Opportunity to participate in monthly support group
Signing up for the Diabetes Self- Management Program
Patients will need to ask their doctor to complete a written prescription for Diabetes Education. The doctor faxes a copy of the prescription with the patient’s diagnosis and health insurance card to Centralized Scheduling at Longmont United Hospital. 303.651.5150.
Adults with Type 2 Diabetes Class
These classes assist each client in developing a personal plan for a healthier future. Classes involve individual time with a diabetes educator, interactive presentations by experts and lots of discussion about real-life challenges and solutions.
Gestational Diabetes or Pregnancy with Existing Diabetes Class
Women who develop diabetes during pregnancy or who become pregnant with pre-existing diabetes receive individual care to manage their diabetes and have healthy babies. The team maintains communication with the client and her obstetrician throughout the pregnancy and after delivery.